Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Monday, May 29, 2006

X-men (2): super power

Warning: movie spoilers included.

What is the power I want if I could choose from X-men?

The first thought was that I wanna be able to run through walls or any object. It could be a lot of fun. And it is very practical too, if you know what I am saying.

Ice and fire could be interesting too. Between these two, I will go for ice. I am afraid that I won't be handle fire well. And now the weather is so hot. It probably affects my preference.

At first I didn't take storm into my consideration. The reason is that I didn't like her in the movie. She is always serious. But thinking about changing the weather, being storm might not be bad at all.

Here comes the question: how about Jean?

She is the most powerful mutant and has double personalities. Professor successfully suppressed her dark power in the first two movies. In the third one the power was so out of control that she killed the two people she loved most. And it finally got herself killed by wolverine, who deeply loved her.

The movie gave me the impression that the release of Jean's desires or super power lead to a total damage of her life, which I can definitely relate to the reality. At certain points in my life I had the strong desire of destroying something or ruining somebody's life. What if I had that kind of power, would I use it? Could I be happier? Maybe, maybe not. But is it a good thing to simply suppress them? To this, I will be able to give a better answer after I finish "the journey of desire".

There are certain "super powers" for which I have no desire at all. For example, Spike. What is the point of that? As Brian said, he can only kill people who hug him. Or, Angel. I wished I could fly, but I don't want to carry two big wings all the time. Besides, it will be really difficult to buy clothes with two holes on the back.

4 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Elbow said...

hmmm...I think I won you over a little bit with Storm's powers.

As for Jean I think you hit on the key point. It certainly isn't good to simply suppress your desires (if you do they will eventually boil over uncontrollably...like Jean). That is why I would never want Jean's power...oh what horrible things would happen if I wasn't careful with that power.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, the journey of desire!

a couple of weeks ago, my students decided to go around and say what "useless superpower" they would have if they could. they defined it as "something cool, but only useful as a cheesy party trick". I think I chose... to be able to snap my fingers and have the person I was looking at's clothes instantly become inside-out. :)

anyone have anything they'd pick from that??

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Elbow said...

I would say to be able to make music play from power outlets...I think at a party that would be really fun for me. Everyone would be all confused why some Radiohead is coming out of the outlet. I can picture it now with everyone crowding around it, then I would make a different play...haha that would be sweet.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That IS pretty awesome, Brian!

Now, if you could only do that at work... although in the lab I work in, the outlets are pretty few and far between!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home