Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

San Antonio --- Day 2: A good day

I have to admit that Day 2 here is probably the best day I have ever had in the history of this meeting.

Fabulous weather

It was like a good summer day in Michigan. Warm, but not hot.

Freedom

I didn’t need to worry about a thing because I already gave my talk. My professor didn’t bug us much, so I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted to.

The Alamo

After lunch, we went to the famous Alamo. One good thing about San Antonio is that everything is very close to each other. It took us less than 10 mins to walk from the restanrant to the Alamo. Honestly, there wasn’t much to see at the Alamo. It is this kind of place that you go because it is famous and you take pictures and then you leave.

Remember the Alamo!


One interesting thing is that towards the end of our visit there, Peter turned and said to me that “I saw a spot where I could take a nap, so I am just going to do that.” So he left to take a nap at random spot in the Alamo, which Brian thought was totally awesome.

Old college classmate

Before going to the talks in the afternoon, I had nothing to do in my hotel room but flip throught the conference bulletin. Suddenly a name caught my eyes. My undergraduate classmate is here too to present his poster! I haven’t seen him for over 10 years! So I went to poster session and talked to him for a while.

The boatride

I took a boatride along the river in the afternoon. It was more enjoyable than I expected. The boat driver was humorous and introduced the history of the buildings along the river. The colors and sunshine at the time was just perfect.

the San Antonio courthouse


A good dinner

Since Mexican food we had for lunch didn’t impress me much, I decided to go Italian for dinner. It is by the San Antonio riverwalk. The river is lined with dozens of restaurants with all the lights and people and music. It is like the main street in AA except 5~10 times longer and it is a river instead of a street.

The cute restaurant which has not-so-good mexican food


It was funny to see that although the evening was warm enough to wear just a shirt, all the restaurants have the heater on. We had to explain to them that we were from Michigan so that we could move to a spot that was relatively far from the heaters.

Look how many heaters they put out there!


Brian and I ordered the same chicken pasta. I was happy with my food. And it was simply nice to sit outside in such a warm evening chatting with a good friend. I am grateful that I could actually have one good APS experience. Thanks Brian!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home