Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Sunday, June 24, 2007

good to go

I think of death often, even when I was a child. I didn't know why we are here in this world. We are going to die anyway, so why bother?

The main reason that I didn't kill myself is that I have loving parents and I didn't want to break their hearts. There was a long period of time I had this idea that I would follow them once that day comes. Actually I even tried to find a perfect way of suicide for myself which would be relatively painless and elegant.

Ok, now you are thinking I am crazy.

See, there was no purpose for this life when I was a total atheist. I am only speaking for myself. Most atheists I know don't really have this problem at all.

Day by day I waste most of my time doing something routine. Also, everything I do is only to get myself abundant material things, especially to ensure that I have what I need when I am old and unable to earn money any more.

Sure, more money will give me more pleasure and bring great security, then I don't need to worry about the my final years. Still, as long as I have a place to live, some food for my stomache and enough clothes, my life won't change much. All the extra pleasure would be nice, but I am not crazy about it.

Out of that background, the idea of heaven sounds a pretty good deal. Apparently killing myself won't get me there. So I have to live no matter how crappy I might feel in order to get to the place I will not feel crappy any more.

In addition to that, they say we are not made to just live this life like everyone else. I am supposed to live everyday like I could glorify somebody. And that somebody claims that he is the one who loves me most, even more than my parents. All the love I have got is only a reflection of his love for me, like the light of the moon is the reflection from the sun.

I can't say that I totally believe in that, but I don't want to risk it. What if it's true? Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. It can't be worse if I have decided not to live after my parents.

Now I rarely think about killing myself any more, which is good, I guess, to people who care about me. But really it's no big difference to me. I just think I don't have the right to take my own life. It's in God's hands.

The truth is that I have had a pretty good life, though I contantly whine about it. I have been blessed to have loving family and awesome friends. I don't need to worry about money or basic living. And I start to like myself.

But I would be happy to go if God decides to take me. I still hope it would be after my parents though. I will be very lucky if I could die relatively young without worrying about all those stuff like pension or 401K. Hopefully that is his plan for me.

3 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

Are you just taking my stories?

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I didn't know that you were once an atheist.

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is really a great post Sherry, and I'm glad to hear that God has given more purpose and meaning to your life. It's really tough to make sense of it all without Him

 

Post a Comment

<< Home