Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Friday, December 08, 2006

a little bit country

I always knew that I had something for country music, but not until the last Memphis trip did I really get hooked to it.

On our daily trips to and back from the LCC, the radio was on country all the time. I got to know the songs like "if you are going through hell", "me and my gang", "leave the pieces", and "Amarillo sky" (on which Brian wrote a very nice entry).

Actually, as I am writing this, each song reminds me of a little story. For example, I would think of Laetitia when I listen to "leave the pieces", because in the car we joked about how she broke our hearts by going back to France when the song was playing, and Brian pointed out it was quite suitable for us. Later we actually made a CD for her as the gift which was filled with all the sad, heart-breaking love songs.

And I remember the time when I first heard "life ain't always beautiful" from the radio. We were about to take the exit to our hotel. This song hit right onto my heart and almost made me in tears. It is still one of my favorite songs.

After coming back to AA, Brian bought a couple of CDs, so I started to know the names behind those songs, Jason Aldean, Gary Allen, Miranda Lambert, the Wreckers, Carrie underwood, and a lot lot more.

The first reason I liked about country music was the special country voices and the way they sing the songs. As I indulged more and more, I was able to appreciate the lyrics. It's like you had a crush on someone because of his looking and then really fell in love with his soul.

I don't know how to describe the beauty of those lyrics. I can only put it this way: I like how life is portrayed and appreciated through country songs.

Sometimes they make me smile or laugh (such as Toby Keith's "I wanna talk about me"). Sometimes they make my heart ache for a minute (such as Colin Raye's "love me"). Sometimes they help me stay humble and encouraged (such as Lee Ann Womack's "I hope you dance").

Or sometimes while singing along, I simply feel "yeah, this is life, this is love and this is good".

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

Everyday I see you slowly morph into me...I had confidence in convincing you in the area of Christianity but country music I won't have believed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home