Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Elizabethtown

Personally I like the going-home and heart-digging (I just make up words here) movies like "Garden state", "Big fish", etc. "Elizabethtown" is supposed to be one of them, and not a very good one.

Here is this handsome, successful, workaholic shoe designer who made his company lose nearly a billian dollars and got himself fired. So when he was going to kill himself by attaching a sharp knife to an automatic bike (I didn't understand what's the advantage of that), his sister called and told him that his father died.

So he met this stewardess on his way flying to his father's hometown and apparently this girl liked him at the first sight (otherwise I don't know why she kept bothering him on the plane). Then his heart was changed by this girl and everything that happpened afterwards. Certainly like all this kind of movies he and this girl lived happily ever after.

The problem with it is that the same story has been repeated over and over again, and this one didn't provide us with anything new. The end of the movie kind of reminded me of what happened in "Amelie", which is a very heart-warming French movie.

Orlando Bloom's acting is somehow disappointing. If I were the director, I wouldn't choose him. He is way too cute to make the character look depressed. Comparatively, Zach Braff was much more convincing in "Garden State".

There were a few moments I enjoyed it besides the good-looking actor. When the wife (played by Susan Sarandon) did tap dance at the memorial service, when it played "come pick me up" by Ryan Adams, when there was Memphis and the bar at Beal Street I have been to, when the car was passing by the bridge between Tennessee and Arkansas, it touched some soft part of my heart.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

I think this entry was just so that your friend one wasn't still at the top, but I maybe wrong...it certainly won't be the first time.

Even though that is what I thought, the last paragraph really saved it for me. Between mentioning the TN to Arkansas bridge (I'll be crossing it in two weeks from today) and pointing out that "come pick me up" was played in the movie (is my version still better?) it really won me over.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger beneathwing said...

Hey, you totally got me wrong. Did I ever do such things? I think not!!!

Now it's hard to say which version is better. You know, Orlando Bloom is really cute. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home