Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

# 62

There was a black-out an hour ago in our building.

Although the power was back seconds after, I thought it was a sign for me to take a break. So I sneaked out and had another icecream sandwich.

The water was pouring from the sky. It has been long since I walked outside in heavy rain last time. I felt the desire to do that. However, I used an umbrella so that people wouldn't think I was too odd. Compromises.

Last Sunday I finally watched "Office Space", which I borrowed from Brian and have kept at my aparment forever.

Anyway, I felt these days I have been acting like Peter. It's some sort of illusional happiness. I know it won't last long, or it will stop as soon as my boss gets back.

----------This is the depressing dividing line----------

Tonight the frustration started to hit me again, because in reality I have so many things to finish while I don't have enough time and I have no desire to do either of them. A conference paper is due on this Thursday, but I am far from getting the draft ready.

I told my parents that I really don't want to go on like this anymore and that I hope I can quit right away.

My mom said "then go home with us", like it's not a big deal at all.

"What if I can't find a job?!" I asked.

"Oh, you will find a job anyway." My mom said.

It was such a big comfort to me. Although they knew I won't be a quitter, they always have a way to remind me that all they want is for me to be happy.

Thanks, mom and dad, for your support and for knowing me so well.

5 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

Man you are so lucky to be able to get an ice cream sandwich...I suppose they have them here, but I don't think it would be quite the same.

I'm also glad to hear that you finally watch office space...perhaps I'll get that back some time. By the way...you must be happy right now with Steve and i gone (I know you like me but it must be nice to not worry about my project). Glad you're enjoying yourself.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger beneathwing said...

Are you saying that PERHAPS I could keep "office space"?

Man you are so generous!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger chinar said...

in some sense we are in the same boat. as graduation is around the corner, it seems that a lot of things that i did over the years are not valuable. i really don't seem to have control on everything. and just that i don't feel very nice at the end of the day with all the things to be done.

i had heard that graduation was supposed to make you feel wonderful. just that the end stretch is really draining me out...

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger beneathwing said...

chinar, I am sure that you are in a better boat than mine. Right now I still have no clue of what kind of story I should tell by using my data.

As time gets close to graduation, my impostor syndrome gets more severe.

All these years inbetween, like Homer Simpson said, is the sweet period between telling a lie (that I am smart and working hard) and being found out finally.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't you blame me for the ice cream sandwiches at some point in this entry? did you delete that? was it in an earlier entry about dairy queen? I hope you didn't remove it, I was proud of introducing them to you!

that's so cool of your parents! don't worry, sherry, you'll graduate soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home