Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Thursday, August 24, 2006

my first lap

It appeared to me that my biggest progress in this trip has nothing to do with my daily work. I just had my first lap in a swimming pool! And it was only my second attempt to learn swimming. Ok, I might be misleading people. I did put a life ring around my neck to keep me floating, but it was my feet and legs that did all the pushing and kicking.

Before coming to Memphis, the deepest water I have been in was a hot tub. One of the promises Brian made to me is that he will teach me how to swim in a real swimming pool. And he tried, not so hard though. The first time I got into water, all he did was to throw me a few words "get yourself comfortable with water".

Then today, thinking that I was more "comfortable with water", he started to show me something more technical by explaining swimming in a fluid dynamics point of view, which went pretty well. As soon as I knew that I was really moving instead of imaging that like the other time, I got pretty pumped. Finally fluid dynamics is doing something good to my life!

If I keep going under this speed, maybe I will be able to swim in the ocean if I go to Florida for the APS conference this November. I can barely wait!

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

"you can't barely wait"...does that mean that you can only wait a really long time? Trust me the extent that I could help you the first time was having you get use to being in the water...you were way to uncomfortable to learn how to swim. The second time you were good to go though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home