Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

summer rain

While I was working in the lab this afternoon, I suddenly had the feeling that it's raining outside.

Actually my lab is an isolated place with all kinds of noises. There was no way that I could see or hear the rain. Somehow, either the change in temperature or in humidity triggered the sense of me as an mechanical engineer.

I opened the door. It was raining hard. The sky was dark. This kind of weather reminds me of where I grew up, although it's probably the same everywhere.

The fear for overwhelming darkness and possible thunders, mixed with the expectation for fresh smell and a cool day after the heavy rain. That's enough to bring some excitement of the summer rain to a child. Also, there was this unspeakable security of being at home with the family while it's raining outside.

Now sitting in the office with the airconditioner, all the small sentiment seemed long gone.

3 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger Elbow said...

Oh how I love either a spring or summer thunder storm (not the fall though). The smells and sounds just warms my heart and makes me long for home.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Sherry, if you would keep your BLINDS open in your office, maybe you wouldn't have seen that it was going to rain before you went down to the lab. :)

I also love rain. But not when I am driving. Yesterday, despite the rain making a small lake on my patio, was pretty awesome (since I was inside!).

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home