Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

memories of Comerica Park

The first time I heard of Comerica Park was when Jia wanted to see Eminem there. He was having a concert with 50 Cents. I like Eminem's songs, but won't call myself his fan. But Jia is. So I saw it as an opportunity to hang out with her. And it wouldn't hurt to check off "going to a rap concert" from my list, though it was never on my wish list.

It was interesting that when I told Eric and Brian this news, they seemed totally shocked and worried. I didn't know why. Then they explained to me that it was not a great idea to go to a rap concert at Comerica Park at night. Well, too late. So Brian gave me the advice to follow the crowd and we managed to do that.

I don't remember many details of that night. Jia bought me potbelly for dinner but we had to finish before entering the gate. The concert was supposed to start at 7pm, but not until after 8pm did we see anyone on stage. Eminem showed his butt which I wasn't really interested in seeing. There was smell of marihuana in the air. We had drinks and chatted and joked around. It was fun.

Although I didn't think I would go to that place again, the truth is that you never know. A year ago Brian gave me a link to a blog written by his sister's bestfriend. He thought I would like it and he was right about it. I loved how honest and sincere the author was while talking about her feelings, her family and friends, her struggles and pains. There were so many times I felt she was telling my story in a way I was unable to express myself. Her name is Trudi.

So after a while, I started to leave comments. I wanted to do that much earlier, but was afraid she would get offended by random stranger saying something in her blog. Well, to my surprise, she wasn't. Instead, I was much encouraged. This is probably why her readers can see a lot of comments from me. Another reason is that I can't help it. Her writing is excellent. She is diligent. Plus she is always honest and passionate about life. All of the above makes her my favorite blogger.

Ok, back to Comerica Park. Last weekend Trudi came back to Michigan to visit her mom. Since we became friends through our correspondence, we thought it would be great if we could meet face to face like some sort of blind date. We came up with a few options. She wanted me to go watch the baseball game with her at Comerica Park. Then here is the problem. Sports is not where my passion lies in. Let alone that this time I had to drive to downtown Detroit by myself.

However, I did want to meet her. And Trudi offered Brian and his girlfriend to come with us, so I actually didn't have to drive (thanks, Brian!). So Brian drove from Ypsi, picked me up at Ann Arbor, and then picked up Demoree at Wixom, and then picked up Trudi at Royal Oak, and then four of us drove together to Comerica Park.

It amazed me how many people would put down whatever they need to do on a Thurday afternoon to sit there for a few hours watching baseball. The number was over 37,000. As for what happened in the game, you can check out both Trudi's and Brian's blogs. The bummer is that I missed the first and probably the only home run I could experience in my whole life. But I did learn quite a bit about the rules.

I am not sure if I wanna watch another baseball game, but it was definitely awesome that I got to see Trudi and we had chance to talk besides her trying to pouring baseball knowledge into my sports-free brain. Also, I was able to hang out with Brian and Demoree and visit where Demoree works. And Brian gave me a little tour to some town I have never visited before.

It's all good.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Trudi said...

Didn't mean to cram all that non-sense sports stuff down your throat :)

Thank you for the kind words about me and my blog. At times when I am down a word or two have encouraged me.

We will need to get together again when I come back to town and just go out to dinner!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

You're welcome Sherry for both driving and taking you to a new town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home