Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Saturday, April 22, 2006

the answer is 42

(I owe special thanks to Natasha for letting me borrow her book.)

The movie "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" can not be counted as a success. For people who haven't read the book, the plot and the conversation sometimes seem ambiguous. For fans of the book, it didn't faithfully copied the essence of the book.

However, it did arouse my interest in digging into the book again, though I have been keeping it for quite a long time. The story makes me laugh, and sometimes sad.

So the Answer to the Great Question of Life, the University and Everything is forty-two. You better take it as it is. Still, you don't know what the Question is. But does it matter?

Here are some sentences which I think are pretty funny from the book:

Ford: "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
(I have the same feeling each day after I finish my food sitting around the table with my friends)

The Guide: "Here is what to do if you want to get a lift from a Vogon: forget it."
(This is probably what I should do to graduate before this September.)

Arthur: "You know, it's at times like this, when ......, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
Ford: "Why, what did she tell you?"
Arthur: "I don't know, I didn't listen."
(Yeah, right...)

Arthur: "All this explains a lot of things. All through my life I've had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no onne would tell me what it is."
Slartibartfast: "No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that."
(It's quite comforting, isn't it?)

Zaphod: "No, I don't seem to be letting myself into any of my secrets. Still. I can understand that. I wouldn't trust myself further than I could spit a rat."
(sounds partially like me)

Benjy(the mouse): "We have to have something that sounds good."
Arthur: "Something that sounds good? A Question to the Ultimate Answer that sounds good? For a couple of mice?"
Frankie(another mouse): "Well, I mean, yes idealism, yes the dignity of pure research, yes the pursuit of truth in its all forms, but there comes a point I'm afraid where you begin to suspect that if there is any real truth, it's that the entire multidimensional infinity of the Universe is almost certainly run by a bunch of maniacs. And if it comes to a choice between spending yet another ten million years finding that out, and on the other hand just taking th money and running, then I for one could do with the exercise."
(hmmm, count me in.)

Well, maybe life is sad and meaningless. How about I share with you something absolutely cute and adorable to cheer you up(sorry, Brian, it's not your video).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2336001057263201649&q=puppys+vs+cat&pl=true

3 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

My favorite quote is the one about not listening to his mom...that is my kind of humor right there. Also you should have put my video...oh well.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Thanks so much for the comment! :) It's funny to think that people would read the nonsense I put up on that thing, but seeing as how you have one too, you can relate to how there is something oddly interesting about writing a blog... :)

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that guy should have listened to his mom- that's what I did and I found out the answer to the biggest question in the universe (42)! Or, should I say, I found the question to the biggest answer in the universe!

And by the way, that video is hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home