Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

liar, liar

No, I am not going to talk about the movie by Jim Carrey, though I love him.

A young man was working as a promising journalist for the New Republic, which is said to be the only journal in Air Force One. To impress his colleague, his boss and his readers, he started to make up stories. And finally one story "Hack Heaven" brought too much attention which lead to the collapse of his lies and his career.

This is the movie I watched last weekend based on a true story. To whom it may interest, the movie is "Shattered Glass". And here is a link where you can get more detailed information of the story.

http://www.rickmcginnis.com/articles/Glassindex.htm

Ironically, Stephen Glass went to Georgetown Law School after he got fired. Why didn't he think of that before he became a journalist? That should be his true calling.

Also, he wrote a novel named "The Fabulist", which is the story of a young journalist and how he achieved his career by a series of lies. This time, it is just a "novel".

In an interview, Stephen's former editor Chuck said, "if it's a sunny day, both Steve and I stand outside, and Steve tells me it's a sunny day, I have to check with two other people. "

Some people enjoy lying, whom I tend to stay away from. I don't think I do. I don't know whether or not Stephen Glass did. He enjoyed the part when everybody was fascinated by his stories. But he suffered from the rest part because he was not that professional. It took too many efforts to maintain a big lie. I almost felt sorry for him when I was watching the movie.

There are so many lies going on each day. Nobody should be called a liar, because everybody lies. I don't know how much better I am compared to Stephen Glass. Maybe I am being lucky. Sometimes I even lie to myself by saying "ok, this is not a lie. I am just not telling all the truth".

Only God knows.

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright we are all liars...however Stephen Glass is a disgusting man. He not only lied and got caught (which is really what matters), but during that interview you can tell he still lying. I think it actually enjoys it...it seriously was physically painful to endure his interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home