Snapshots

a string to connect pieces of my life

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thank you, and Happy Birthday

I guess it is time to write about what I am going to write. Today is Brian's birthday. Honestly I can't quite remember how many years I have known him, although I do remember when we had the first conversation (Brian might disagree on that).

Anyway, this post is not about the history of our friendship, which would be some post in the far far future, possibly. What I want to write today is a few things I have learned from him or this friendship, as an evidence of my appreciation in case one day I need it (just kidding). And I am going to use a list.

1. God
It is fair to say that God has been the center of our friendship most of the time. I think that is the main reason why we have seen many blessings as well as numerous attacks. I have no doubt that if I had never met Brian, God would have sent another person to help me find my way. But I think in general Brian did a pretty good job.

2. Faith
When we first started to talk about religion, I was impressed by his passion and depth of knowledge about Christianity. He knows what he is doing, he does as he believes and he stands by his belief firmly, which I think is what every Christian should do.

3. Communication
It turns out that being upfront with people is not such a bad thing. It amazed me that how Brian said out loud his opinions and people appreciated it. Making sense is one key (again, know your stuff). And don't take different opinion personally. On the contrary, not telling what is really in your mind might backfire sometimes.

4. Relationship
Relationship is much more complex than just good communication. Being friends with Brian brought me another perspective of looking at troubles in relationships. He helped me realize that many times troubles are caused simply by selfishness (either loving self too much, or not giving God and others enough love). Not having peace with others could be a direct reflection of not having peace with God. After acknowledging that, it is really my free will to decide whether or not I want to deal with it.

5. Friends
He introduced me to a group of girls who I think are among the most awesome people I have ever met. They have been showing me their understanding and support during my up-and-downs. I can't believe I have been with my life group for almost two years!

6. American culture
We talked about pretty much everything when we were working together. From books to music, from religion to politics. Simpsons. Dave Matthews Band, Third Day, the Chronicles of Narnia, Philip Yancey, church, Jesus, Bob Dutko, dinasaur, Proposal 2, abortion, foosball, ...

He also invited me to his home for the Thanksgiving, where I had the best turkey in my whole life. It has literally changed my feelings for turkeys forever.

7. Grace
We exchanged long emails talking about the concept of forgiveness and love. He helped me understand the beauty of God's grace. More importantly, God has used this friendship to help me practice receiving grace as well as giving it. I have to say that neither was easy (actually, sometimes seemed impossible), but I have been working on it. When a relationship hurts, one way of showing grace is simply to stick around no matter how much you want to walk away.

Alright, I am going to stop here, although these are not everything. Despite all the damages made over the years and some issues that remains. I know I have benefited a lot from this friendship, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Happy Birthday, Brian!

1 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger belbing said...

Thank you Sherry...that was super nice and even a better gift than the Simpson puzzle (though that is pretty awesome too).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home